Thursday, August 20, 2009

Being Content

Today I was thinking "Why can't I have HER family?... Why do I have to live where I do?... Why can't I have anything other than what I've been given?" and the Lord brought to my mind "Be content with such things as you have..." I was trying to find it in my bible and for some reason I couldn't find it. Then I heard "For I will never leave you nor forsake you." and I knew RIGHT away that it was Hebrews 13:5.

I think its funny how people tend to leave out the beginning of Hebrews 13:5 and only say the last part of how the Lord will never leave you nor forsake you. It's a great promise, but their's more to it. The beginning of the verse not only explains the rest of it, but it is also very encouraging and convicting for people, specifically girls, who live in this day and age. So many girls find themselves in the very situation I caught myself in today- coveting what other's have and wanting anything other than what they have been given. Take looks for instance. Girls are constantly comparing their looks to their friends or to other people around them. Even if it isn't intentional, it happens. And not just with body type or hair color, but with clothes, and accessories as well. We tend to not be content with the things we have.

But I guess that goes for all people. We aren't content with our house, our car, our paycheck, our parents, our siblings, our church, our city, our looks, our possessions, our co-workers, our hair supplies, our lack or abundance of food, and the list can go on... Its the truth.

So with that in mind, listen to what the bible has to say about our covetousness and our not being content:
"Let your conduct be WITHOUT covetousness; be CONTENT with such things as you HAVE. For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'"
-- Hebrews 13:5

We HAVE the King of Kings with us always. If we learn to make Him our everything, we will be content with such things as we have, even if we have nothing at all. Because as long as we have Jesus, we lack nothing. Therefore, we should be content always, because Jesus will never forsake me and you.

2 comments:

Yileyi said...

You rock April. I wish I could be there to see you excel in the journalism department....and spiritually. :-)

Jacob said...

Good point. We have Jesus, what else is there?