Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Birthday Left Uncelebrated


"This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it."-- Psalm 118:24




Today would have been my mom's 51st birthday. I am crushed to not be able to spend it with her. Last year she had her birthday party on a Sunday and I didn't want to go to it because I would have rather gone to church. But I stayed and I enjoyed it. I would give up going to church in a heartbeat if that meant spending today with my mom. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I would give up following God. Just that I would give up one night of doing something for me, to do something for her. I miss her more than I ever have. But I know that she is before the King, face to face. I can't wait to go to heaven and worship Him with her one day! :)


Here is my favorite picture of my mom. :)
My all-time favorite memory of my mom. Here is it.
A few days after my 17th birthday (this year) I went over to my mom's house to celebrate it. She made me dinner, and a heart shaped white cake with strawberry frosting (My fave). While dinner was cooking and the cake was baking, my mom went outside for a minute and then came back in with a budding rose. It was a deep pink color, with a short green stem. She looks me in the eyes and says "You have always been my little rosebud, but now you're turning into a beautiful rose. I love you. Happy Birthday" And she gave me a big hug. I don't want or need to explain why this is my favorite, but it is. I miss her today. I'll miss her tomorrow, and I missed her yesterday. I don't want to forget her. I can only really remember her laugh, but any bit of her is a blessing to remember. :) Be blessed today. And tell your mom you love her. She may not seem like the the greatest mom, but once shes gone, it's over. You don't have forever to hug her or to hear her motherly advice. Take advantage of the time you have with her. Show her the love of Jesus.
"This is the day that the Lord hath made; I will rejoice and be glad in it."-- Psalm 118:24

1 comment:

Shannyn said...

Birthdays and holidays are tough ones when you miss someone you love- especially mom.

I'll be thinking of you..stay strong!